Sunday, August 12, 2007

Who Am I?

I want to introduce myself. I want to tell you who I am. I want to tell you what I am. I want to talk about my past, my present, my future. But I cannot contain all the particles of my life into one short paragraph. Not even a page. Maybe a book. Maybe not. Maybe a movie. Definitely not.

But then I remembered something. I remembered something I read before. A paragraph or a sentence that someone used to describe himself.. and I can't find a better way to describe myself other than to quote his words:

"..Who what am I?
My answer: I am the sum total of everything that went before me, of all I have been seen done, of everything done-to-me. I am everyone everything whose being-in-the world affected was affected by mine. I am anything that happens after I've gone which would not have happened if I had not come.."

Saleem Sinai, Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Indeed who are you, and why should I read your blog?

This Lady said...

you can choose to read it and you can choose not to read it. But if you find that the writing or the content entertains you, then you're welcome to be a reader. If not, then I still appreciate your comment. No damage done ;)

Cixousian Panic said...

lifts hat-off for mention of Midnight's children - spectacular book!