Saturday, April 11, 2009

My Mistake Is Your Lesson

Do you believe in learning from other people’s mistakes? I know I do. My sister is a few years younger than me. I give her advice. A lot. Sometimes it might be too much (for her not for me). But I don’t think there such a thing as too much advice to dish out. There will never be enough advice floating around in the universe.

There are always lessons to be learned. My sister gets angry sometimes, and says that I’m negative, demeaning and controlling. But I’m only trying to help! I’ve always wished I had an older sister to tell me where the shortcuts are so I don’t have to take the long route. So I don’t slip on an icy path and fall.

I’ve been there and done that. I just want to spare her the trouble. A few years difference might not be much, but when she’s just past her teen years and I’m smack in the middle of my 20’s, that’s a lot of lessons learned, and a whole lotta wisdom gained.

Sure I want her to live her life and make her own choices. But there are some things that are just not worth doing. I’m saving her the energy (to go and do something less stupid I hope).

This lady believes that her mistakes can be your lessons learned. And vice versa, of course. How about you?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm an oldest sister, too. Sometimes people don't want the benefit of our experience; sometimes they want to make their own mistakes; sometimes they think they know better.

Sometimes I just ask questions, and if they ask for advice, I can tell them - this is what happened to me when I did it that way, and I think now I would do it differently, etc . . .

I'm not very good at taking advice when it is given to me without me wanting it! Are you?

Bahrain Fashion said...

Heyy...
love your blog :)

BAHRAIN FASHION BLOG
bahrainfashion.blogspot.com

Hasan.B said...

I do "believe in learning from other people’s mistakes", and I also "do not think there such a thing as too much advice" however too much advice from the same person is not the same. But of course a person who learns from others mistake is wiser than that who learned from his (assuming its the same mistake!)

Grey said...

I don't think so ! Everyone must go through the grind..

May be you discovered your part of the 'wrong side of twenties' a bit harder ... but be gentle when you want her to learn from your mistakes ..

I am in my Mid Thirties... there are lot of mistakes i have done will continue to do some more , learn from some, and won't learn from some. At the end of the day It's life ... everyone for himself :P ... Thats the biggest lesson i learned from my mistakes .

Big Pearls said...

I strongly believe in learning from other's mistakes besides learning from my own. I have done many mistakes in the past and regret them truly. I'm trying my best to avoid doing them again.

Anonymous said...

I do believe in learning from other peoples mistakes!

Anonymous said...

sipitaa warataaaang

Shayouma said...

I so wish some mistakers i did are erasable.. I Really want to turn back time sometimes :(

but thing is, i know myself and that I won't listen to an advice unless i get a slap on the face and that is when i learn my lesson :( and THEN i wish i didn't do it..